Ola-Uber ScamBy now you must have heard about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp scams. Today we are going to tell you about the scams happening in app based cab riding services Ola and Uber. Yes, people are also being made victims of scams through these app based cab riding services. Know how? The National Crime Investigation Bureau has warned people about this scam through Twitter. We are sharing this post here.
People of metro cities should be careful
If you live in any metro or big city like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and travel by booking a cab through apps like OLA/Uber, then this article is of great use to you. In fact, many times drivers ask you to pay less or cancel the ride by giving some other reason. Usually people agree with them, but you should not do this at all. Doing this can prove to be very dangerous for you.
Important information :~
If you live in a metro or big city like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and travel by booking a cab through apps like OLA/Uber, then this article is for you. Note that many times the driver may charge you less money or cancel the ride by giving some other reason.
— NCIB Headquarters (@NCIBHQ) October 14, 2023
This scam is going on in Ola, Uber
The National Crime Investigation Bureau said that when you book a cab through a mobile app, you get the driver’s details and the vehicle number. But sometimes it happens that the number shown in the app is different from that of the cab that comes to pick you up. The driver makes an excuse that the cab has broken down, that is why he has brought it, you too get influenced by his words and sit in the cab. But even if you do this, you may get into some big trouble. Understand it like this, the number of the cab you booked through the app was 1234, but the number of the cab that came to pick you up is 4321. Now, if any accident happens to you during this ride, the cab company will shirk its responsibility. In their database you are traveling in cab 1234.
Keep these things in mind while traveling by cab
- Never travel after canceling the ride due to the driver’s advice. If the driver is not ready for this, then take another cab. Along with this, definitely complain about that driver to the concerned company.
- If you travel at night for work, then try to send your live location to a family member or a friend.
- Never travel in a cab whose number does not appear on your app, always match the information given by the company with the cab and travel only after being satisfied.
- If you suspect any activity of the driver during the journey, then immediately inform this to someone you know or the police.
- If you are traveling alone in a cab, try not to sleep. Apart from this, also keep an eye on the routes through which the cab is going.
- If you are traveling on an unknown route, then keep the location on in your mobile also, so that you know whether you are on the right path or not.
- Never be too friendly with the driver and do not give him your personal information like mobile number and address.
Note, this information has been taken from NCIB’s Twitter handle @NCIBHQ.